Another month, another worthless post!

I know nobody really reads this, but I have to keep updating it to keep Google's Bot happy (and to keep it parsing my links!). First a shameless plug again for our church, Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, since all the links to it in Google point to their old dead domain name. Come on googlebot, spider our sad little website! Speaking of church, let's change the subject to Christian music, where I must congratulate Audio Adrenaline for winning another Grammy, no matter how meaningless those awards really are. I have also been listening to a lot of Chris Tomlin's Arriving album that I recently picked up cheap. Great stuff! He is also nominated for a bunch of GMA awards which are almost as meaningless as Grammy awards, but, hey, we all love award shows.!

What other sites should I plug? I know Puppy Linux just came out with version 1.0.8 and DSL ("darn" small Linux, as I like to call it) came out with 2.2b. I wanted to run just a SSH server on a delapidated P-II system and tried Puppy but couldn't get the firewall and sshd to work well together, so I tried DSL and it worked like a champ. Frankly I like them both pretty well, and love to show folks ready to pitch old PCs how Puppy or DSL can bring them back to life! I know in our department a 1 GHz Pentium-III is still considered a "high powered" machine by some, and that is really all many folks need. Of course, I am typing this on a 166 MHz Pentium-MMX with 96MB of RAM, and it still does the job too! (And it runs Puppy and DSL both fine...)

I also installed the FileZilla FTP server on my PC since we wanted to do some distance sharing of files from PC's, and I must say that works great too, especially on a box running the free ZoneAlarm firewall. FileZilla makes a great FTP client too for PC users, and I recommend it all the time too. The scary thing with ZoneAlarm is seeing all the bazillion folks hitting our university machines from everywhere in the log files. Talk about a waste of bandwidth! Why don't they set all those bots to attack Microsoft's domain or something?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!