Latest LiveCD that saves the day!

Well, we inherited an old XP box we needed to administer so I thought I would fire up INSERT and use captive NTFS and chntpw to blow away the old Administrator password. But it wouldn't work! I soon found out that worthless XP SP2 was patched so that captive-ntfs no longer works, so I instead I see I must use ntfs-3g instead! The winning LiveCD this time was Helix whose latest release (v1.8) includes both ntfs-3g and chntpw. So I just booted it up, mounted the system drive as ntfs-3g and blanked out the Administrator password so I could logon and change it. My, oh my, that was easy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!