Vista Smista Piece of ....

Well, we finally received a copy of Vista and I thought I would try it out on our "test" system, a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.6GHz Pentium 4, 1GB of RAM, and 80 GB hard drive and a DVD+/-RW. I knew starting into it that the integrated Intel 845G graphics on the box were not going to support Aero, but who cares, we were going to run Vista Business anyway, and I just wanted to see how it all looked. First off the installation took forever, and I mean forever. I started shortly after lunch and I had to go home that evening with the system still installing Office 2007. However, during the Office install I was still able to play with the box. And my bottom line is this. Vista is really darn annoying and as slow as a dog on a 2.6GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM. That is scary. It's installation also killed my GRUB install so I cannot access the Ubuntu 6.10 installation on the box which just flies on this low end Dell with 1GB of RAM. I am sure I can reinstall GRUB to bring it back to life but it is really annoying. I know XP ran fairly well on this box so I am amazed at the abysmal response under Vista.

As for software installations, our Symantec Corporate Anti-Virus 10.1.5 also would not install under Vista so I had to grab a free copy of Avast! instead until we get the updated SAV version. Frankly Avast! might be a better idea on this box anyway since I know the SAV10 corporate versions tend to eat up a bit of system resources and this box is already struggling. It is also very annoying how many "security" prompts keep popping up when I try installing other software (Nero 6, Firefox, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator etc.) I am still waiting to find something that is actually advantageous on this new Microsoft OS.

The much vaunted "Sidebar" is there but I am not overly impressed, especially since it just looks like a stolen, stripped down version of Apple's Dashboard which I don't even use much on my iMac. Amazingly the whole thing now reminds me of the look of any of many random Linux distros currently running KDE. In fact, I am curious why Beryl and AIGLX runs just fine on the integrated Intel 845G graphics but Vista does not. They make for a slick windowing system without the need for Aero. Take a test using kororaa for a neat liveCD that lets you test them out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I guess I'll be interested to find out how my experience with Vista goes...I too have a Dimension 2400, but with only 512MB of RAM...I am finding conflicting reports that there aren't even drivers for 845G on Vista, so I would be curious to find out if you had to do anything interesting to get it to work. If your system was slow with 1GB of RAM, I wonder how mine will work...the scary thing is many of Dell's lower end PCs still come with only 512MB of RAM...might you be a follower of Jesus Christ? I notice you listen to Aaron Shust
Hugh said…
Well, the person who is now using that Dimension 2400 wants me to wipe Vista Business off the box and replace it with XP and Office 2003. It is usable but not the most pleasant or efficient experience. For all of our new desktops we are purchasing in our department for now we are sticking with XP. We have yet to find a valid reason to switch to Vista.

As for being a follower of Christ, I would definitely say an emphatic "Amen!" Otherwise I would be wasting a lot of my time spending 5 to 8 hours at church every Sunday. And I definitely try to follow the ten commandments, although I did come close to murdering our rendition of Casting Crown's "What If His People Pray" this morning at our third service. And I think both Aaron Shust's first and second albums are pretty amazing whether you are a Christian or not. Go buy his albums if you haven't already!
Anonymous said…
The 845G XP drivers work perfectly with Vista!

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!