My Browser Wars


Yeah, I know Microsoft says IE8 is just about ready for prime time, but does anybody really care? For me the real browser war is between Firefox 3.1/Shiretoko 3.5 and Google Chrome with the possible alternates being Safari 4 and Opera 9. Being an open source geek, one of my biggest complaints about Chrome right now is that it is only native to run Windows (although you can run it using Wine under Linux.) You would think a company like Google could have a Linux or Mac version since you can get Safari for both Mac OSX and Windows, and Opera runs on just about everything (including the Nintendo Wii and DSi). Firefox has always been my primary browser since it was released in 2004, but after running Chrome on my laptop for a while I have become quite enamored of its clean look and peppier response. Firefox 3.1/Shiretoko 3.5 seems to be taking some hints from Chrome/Opera (such as the blatantly copied add tab "plus" sign) so hopefully it will continue to improve. I even tried Safari 4 on my Windows XP laptop after installing it by request on an instructor's machine, and I must say it runs very nicely as well. And Opera 9.64 runs pretty smoothly on everything. So many fun choices! What is a web surfer to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!