All Hail the Lucid Lynx! (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS)

Today I was trying to apt-get a package onto my linux desktop when I realized it was taking forever to connect to the Ubuntu APT repository. But that made me think, "Is today the day?" And sure enough with a quick Google search, I realized today was indeed the day of the final release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, the Lucid Lynx! Since it was such an exciting event I thought I should join in the fun and download a copy to play with tonight. I grabbed the torrent and started up bittorrent to get my own copy of the desktop i386 ISO image. It is nice to be using bittorrent to download open source software -- which is what it is legally supposed to be used for (not for movies, pirated software, music, etc.) I booted my old iMac on the freshly burned CD and it fired right up to a very purple desktop. There are a bunch of new features to play with that should keep me quite busy tonight. I used to maintain the repository of Ubuntu ISO images here at Wash U, but the infamous WUARCHIVE server I had helped maintain in the School of Engineering  had been decommissioned (as I learned one day on the Metrolink from the system admin who happened to be riding the same train that day.) So now I have a local repository of Ubuntu ISO images setup at wubuntu.wustl.edu for anyone who wants to download their ISO image there. Right now I just have the desktop i386 and amd64 images there, but I will add more as we need them here in our department. Over the summer there are a number of 8.04 LTS systems I will want to update to 10.04 LTS, and having the ISO images available locally is sometimes handier than pulling everything over the net. R.I.P wuarchive, but long live Ubuntu!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!