Another week another Ubuntu

Well, this Sunday was 10/10/10, and in celebration the Ubuntu folks at Canonical came out with their latest release, Ubuntu 10.10 the "Maverick Meerkat". I love the goofy animal names, but then again I am a big Ubuntu geek as well. Local St. Louis folk can download a copy of the ISO images from my university archive at wubuntu.wustl.edu. With the new release out, I decided it was time to do some upgrades. No, not of my 10.04 system to 10.10, but to upgrade some of our 8.04 servers to 10.04 now that it has been out for six months. Since 10.04 was a long term support (LTS) release, I had planned on upgrading our very stable 8.04 systems to 10.04 over the summer, but I never got around to it. With 10.10 being out, that reminded me they needed updating. Since 10.04 is a LTS release, it will be supported for 3 years for everything and for 5 years for the server packages (i.e. the core kernel and service packages.) So if I update everything to 10.04, they should be supported until 2013 for everything and until 2015 for the server packages. That is a mighty long time! I started upgrading three Dell systems this morning and they all upgraded flawlessly. The longest wait I had was waiting for each one to fsck the root file system when they rebooted. Now they are all running the Maverick Meerkat, and it has nothing to do with Sarah Palin!

Comments

smiley said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!