Firefox 5 and my Latest eBay Bargain


I was not expecting it, but I received an unsolicited e-mail from mozilla.org today telling me that the latest version of Firefox was out, not just an update to 4.0.1, but the fully updated and just released version 5.0. Although I have been quite happy with version 4 (especially over the bloated version 3), I felt compelled to try out the latest version. The big test -- Frontierville on Facebook! I play Frontierville as well as Farmville and Cityville on Facebook, and Frontierville must be the slowest Zynga game there is to play, especially with my overcrowded frontier with its many buildings, animals, trees and everything else. When Firefox 4.0 first came out, I was pleasantly surprised how much better it seemed to run Frontierville than Chrome did at the time, but now even Firefox 4.0 seems to run it slowly, even with our very fast Internet connection at the university (it is painfully slow at home over DSL.) So now I am trying Frontierville on Firefox 5 during lunchtime St. Louis time (probably a peak Frontierville usage time) and the pages seem to be loading faster than it had before with the Flash responding quite smoothly. I know Chrome seemed to lock up before on Frontierville and Firefox 5 seems to be letting me move around the frontier with ease right now. I know this is not even close to being a scientific test, but at least it is a fun way to test it out! I am hoping Firefox version 5.0 is pushed to the Ubuntu repositories soon so I can update my Linux desktop too to try it out there.


On completely unrelated matters, my daughter has a lovely LG Rumor 2 which she uses with Virgin Mobile's $25 Beyond Talk plan (unlimited texting, browsing and 300 minutes of voice per month). If I were a text messaging maniac like she is I would get one too and use that plan, but since I try to use my cell phone as little as possible, I am on Virgin Mobile's uber cheapo, basic payLo plan ($15 every 90 days when auto-charged to a credit card). However, since she is a texting machine she has worn out the battery on her year and a half old phone, so now we had to order a new battery for her. I checked both the Virgin Mobile and the Sprint websites and they wanted $44.99 for a new LGIP-340N battery which is only $20 less than the special $64.99 price they are offering on the Rumor 2 itself! I wonder how many people would actually buy the battery from Virgin Mobile or Sprint for that crazy price instead of trying to find a cheaper one some other place? I know I sure would not! I went directly to eBay and found a highly rated seller who sold brand new OEM LG batteries for $3.49 with free shipping. That is quite a price difference to say the least. Even if that battery only lasts a year or so, for $3.49, I think we can deal with it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hugh...your calculate your cholestrerol ratios is screwing up. No matter what you type in for Triglycerides the computer puts in 290.

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!