Latest Geeks.com Purchase: BLK-KY-07 MP3 Player

Some kind soul on the internet sent me $25 via PayPal for my financial calculator website, and told me I should go buy something for myself. Normally I do not really purchase too much frivolous crap for myself, but I received my daily message from Geeks.com and noticed they were offering Free Shipping on almost everything, no minimum purchase! Included was their 'USB Sport MP3 Player' (BLK-KY-07) which sounded like a cool idea since I am one of those many people who go through ear buds all the time with my MP3 players, and this looked more durable. Since the MP3 player was only $14.49 with free shipping and I could also get a 2GB microSD card at Geeks.com for only $8.49 more, I thought, why not, I am worth it! For less than the $25 PayPal payment I received, I could purchase both items and have them shipped to my house for my personal enjoyment.

The package arrived yesterday at our house in an unusually large cardboard box. I was afraid they had my order wrong since I knew it was only a MP3 player and a microSD card, but the box was large enough to hold a couple pairs of shoes! Luckily the order was correct, and I also received a bunch of air pillows to pop for fun. I thought I should test out my new acquisition right away. So I put the microSD card in the headset, attached the included USB cable to it, and then plugged it in my computer. The very poorly written instruction card that came with it told me to wait 8 hours, but I was not going to do that! I knew the set must be getting power via the USB cable so I tried pushing the buttons and mounting the microSD card, but neither would work. Out of a whim, I thought I would try one of my own USB to mini USB cables, and sure enough, once I plugged it in using my own cable, a little red LED lit up and the 2GB flash card showed up on my computer. So anybody else who buys this thing should realize the included USB cable is a piece of junk! Just use one of your own. I will now also describe the proper usage of the BLK-KY-07 MP3 player.

While it is hooked up via USB to my computer it appears it will play the MP3 music with the ON/OFF in either position. However once you disconnect it from the USB cable, the switch must be set to the ON position to operate at which point the red LED turns on. When you depress the Play/Pause button the music starts and the LED flashes on and off to let you know it is playing. When you click Play/Pause again the music stops and the LED stays solid red. I noticed the Play/Pause button has a delay of a second or so in response which throws you off a little, but for $14.49 what do you expect? The other two buttons are Next and Previous buttons which also act as volume up and volume down. While the headset in on your head with the three buttons on top, the button on your right side is the Next/Volume Up button, and the button on the left side is the Previous/Volume Down button. You just have to hold down the buttons to change volumes, and just click them once to move forward and back between MP3 files. The sound quality is pretty mediocre, but since this is a $15 "sports" model I was not expecting audiophile quality. It does its job and was a good value. Since the shipping was free now is the time to try one out yourself. If you already have a microSD card all you need is the $15 headset. I found the identical item on eBay for exactly the same price. I also noticed I could have purchased a 2GB microSD on eBay for $3 to $4, but I was willing to spend the extra $5 to get the SD adapter and plus give Geeks.com my business. They send me an e-mail ad every day, and I always read it if just for the entertainment value. I love their e-mail ads and want them to stay in business!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!