Middle Class Income Calculator Online


During the presidential election there was a lot of discussion on helping the "middle class" while increasing taxes on the "upper class" to boost the economy. But how are these class differences defined? One interesting metric I heard about was that the middle class was defined as being two-thirds to twice the median household income. In 2010 that number was $59,127 which gave a middle class income range of $39,418 to $118,255. However, this one number was being used to represent the whole country when we all know the median household incomes vary substantially throughout the country. Therefore, I decided someone needed to create an online "middle class income calculator" based on the median income data which is publicly available. My calculator lets you enter a household income amount (your own, or whatever number you would like to compare) to see which tier this income level would be in any metropolitan area or state in the country (based on 2012 data.) I even created some different data sets to compare it to since the data set from the census bureau is pretty large. I have started breaking it up by state, but that is not always easy. Right now I only have a few select states listed (California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, Texas and West Virginia.) I can always add more if someone wants me to, so let me know if you want your state added to the list.

Visit my new calculator and let me know what you think!

Comments

Del DeVries said…
Nice implementation of the calculator! This is a good example of making data accessible.
Eric said…
Great work!
Unknown said…
I live in the state of California in Los Angeles County. Is there a tax calculator online? I don't want to do my income taxes next year and find I owe money! I do not have the financial ability to hire an accountant to assist me. Thanks for your help!

phlebotomy training in west-virginia

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!