More Cool College Campus Webcams in St. Louis


Since I work on a college campus where building construction never ends, I love to watch the construction progress both live and virtually. They have been working on the expansion to the Brown School of Social Work here at Washington University for a while, and I see the construction progress from the big parking lots just fine. However, I discovered they have a live webcam which looks from Goldfarb Hall so we can see what it looks like from that vantage point. Yes, I could get off my lazy behind and walk over there the several hundred feet and look, but I prefer to do so from my desk!


I also like the live webcams they have up over at the medical campus which views the construction there from three separate vantage points. You can see the traffic going up and down Kingshighway from the three views which makes it easy to track individual cars as they drive around. If you lived in the Central West End and had people visiting you that you knew would be driving on Kingshighway, you could probably catch them!

The final new webcam I heard about is the new one for the new residence hall construction at Saint Louis U. This one is not a live stream, but instead has periodic stills which it snaps, which gives you the ability to go back in time and see previous stills (much like the one for Green Hall here as Wash U a few years ago.) It looks like they snap a still ever 15 minutes or so starting on February 9. So you could go back and see how that SLU construction site looked after the snowfall on March 1:


Or how cool the place looks at night:



On a completely unrelated note, I was sitting here in my office when I heard a loud, awful continuous noise coming from outside this morning, and it was from a truck and crew who were "daylighting".


What is "daylighting" you may ask? You can see from the company website for the truck sitting outside my window from Precision Daylighting, Inc:

Daylighting is the term used for uncovering and exposing underground utilities to daylight. PDI uses a non-destructive method of excavating known as hydro excavating or ‘soft dig’. Soft dig is recognized as a best practice when working in areas underground utility congestion and in frozen ground.

I had never heard of that technology before, but it is an interesting idea using high pressure water to excavate for buried utility lines. You learn something new every day here on a college campus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!