Linux , Linux everywhere!!!

Wow, I knew Ubuntu 6.06 was coming out June 1, but everyone else wanted to get into the summer releases it seems. This past week has shown new releases from many of my favorite distributions, including DSLinux with a release candidate of their 3.0 release, Puppy with a brand new 2.0 release, and from the grandfather of Live CD's KNOPPIX with their first new official release in months, 5.0.1DVD. But the big news was Ubuntu (along with Kubuntu, edubuntu and Xubuntu) who came out with the "Dapper Drake" 6.06 with "LTS" (long term support of three whole years!).


I tried loading Xubuntu 6.06 on an old Dell GX1 Pentium III w/ 128MB of RAM and it installed flawlessly and runs like a champ. However, when I tried to install Xubuntu on my 256MB Gateway P-II box it still hung on boot. Bummer! So instead I tried the new Puppy 2.0 on there which booted up beautifully and quickly. I must admit I prefer Synaptic and apt-get to the Puppy installers, but when it comes to a fast, thorough desktop, it is tough to beat Puppy (or DSLinux too!). The one problem I was having with DSLinux was the lack of a tabbed terminal. I had tried multi-aterm but dpkg complained about dependencies so I had to do a forced install, which apt was not happy about. With Puppy, mrxvt installed without a catch and runs great. So for now I will stick with Puppy on my dependable Gateway P-II. So many nice choices for Linux distributions!! Who wants to deal with stupid Vista anyway? I know for a fact I can forget about my P-II and P-III systems with Vista!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!