Neat freebee I found - a fast Windows SFTP client

We transfer a lot of files around using FTP and SFTP (that's how you are supposed to move around large files -- not with e-mail attachments!). Typically we use FileZilla since that is a popular open source project. For unencrypted FTP within our department and for small SFTP transfers it isn't a problem. But for SFTP'ing large amounts of data FileZilla seems to be a bit of a dog (i.e. slower than molasses). I tried some other open source SFTP clients and whereas some were substantially faster than FileZilla no Windows client came close to just using command line SFTP within Linux (or Mac OSX terminal). That is until I tried Tunnelier. It does have a file explorer type interface and is relatively easy to use, but the great thing here is the speed. It simply flies doing SFTP transfers, running several times faster than FileZilla, CoreFTP LE or even WinSCP (which was substantially faster than the other two). Since speed does matter, I will have to start promoting Tunnelier over FileZilla, even though I had gotten quite use to the FileZilla interface. Another cool thing about Tunnelier is that you log in and you actually get both the SFTP File Explorer window and a SSH terminal window at the same time. That can actually be very handy! So not only does it have a super fast SFTP client, but it is a SSH terminal client as well. You can't beat that!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tunnelier is transferring files MUCH quicker than WinSCP.

On raw throughput I am seeing double the transfer rate (WinSCP averaged 1.8mbps, Tunnelier averages 4 mbps).

Thanks for the tip!
Yes, that is right. I got 5+ MB/s compared to WinSCP's 1.4 MB/s.

(Results on local network and transfer from ubuntu to vista)

Amar
Anonymous said…
Hugh, you awesome. I read your financial advice and now I find that you are giving me technical advice. I have this technical problem where I need to ftp large amounts of data, and I think you resolved at least part of it. I would appreciate if you would also branch out into the beauty and house decoration fields so I can get some good advice there!

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!