What a dreary, yucky day in St. Louis! Today it looks like rain all day so I skipped my usual walk to the bus stop and just drove to the Brentwood Metrolink station instead. That sure is a quick little drive and a lot drier! Of course, today is also dreary because of the Cardinal's loss to the Dodgers last night. Let's see if Adam Wainwright can help tie up this series. At least the rain is supposed to let up this weekend for the playoff games here. The one bright spot of the Dodgers winning last night is that if the Cards win tonight it guarantees two games here in St. Louis.

So what else is new since I last posted a month ago? Now that it is October, I could talk about the approach of Windows 7, but I think Microsoft already gets enough free publicity. Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) will be released just a week later on the 29th, and it is completely free! I have not tried it yet myself since I run the 8.04 LTS release Hardy Heron on most systems, but it is supposedly a much faster boot, uses the cleaner Gnome 2.28 and comes preinstalled with Firefox 3.5.3 (Hardy still runs the 3.0.XX series Firefox by default). I have installed the 3.5.3 version on Hardy and it works great, but I did have to install it manually myself. Remember this is Linux so it is very difficult to do. I had to download one file, type one line in the command shell, and then take 10 seconds to change the Firefox button on my launch bar. Whew, that was tough!

In other local news, I heard the old Circuit City in Brentwood Square was being replaced with a Nordstrom's "Rack" clearance store. That should be interesting, and I hope it survives, as long as it doesn't create too much extra traffic (as if Brentwood/Eager/40 isn't crowded enough!). And with the highway 64 construction supposedly ahead of schedule, the bottleneck there could hopefully clear out some in just a month or two. I know driving from the Brentwood Metrolink station to Eager west of Brentwood Blvd is a hassle trying to cross three lanes of traffic. And finally the Computer Resale Store on Manchester in Rock Hill now has their own website to promote themselves. It sounds like in this rough economy they are doing okay so that is definitely a good sign (or is it a bad one that people have to buy older, less expensive computers?) And, no, their little Pentium 4 boxes will not run Vista or Windows 7 very well, but they run fine using XP or Ubuntu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!