New SCC album and the New Lala.com


First off, Steven Curtis Chapman just released his latest album, Beauty Will Rise, and finally all those critics who say all his albums sound the same will have to stop saying that. This is not a radio friendly Christian pop rock production with predictable drum beats and layers of electric guitars. Frankly, it is not an "easy" listen at all, without any "sing-a-long" type hit singles like "Dive", "Live Out Loud" or "The Great Adventure". Instead there are 12 primarily acoustic tracks, without much added post-production and with nothing that "rocks" much at all. This is a deep, introspective album where Chapman deals with his own feelings and faith, and he does not sugar coat anything with cute cliches or catchy guitar riffs. My favorite tracks on the album are the title track "Beauty Will Rise", "Faithful" and "Just Have to Wait". I found it interesting that the titles of two of the tracks "Our God Is In Control" and "I Will Trust You" reminded me of another of my favorite Christian artists from the 80's and 90's, Twila Paris, since she had her big hit "God Is In Control" and also a single "I Will Trust You". I find it interesting that whereas "God Is In Control" was Twila's most pop (almost rock?) single, Steven's "Our God Is In Control" sounds more like a more typical Twila Paris soft ballad!

And while I was waiting for the CD to show up in the mail, I noticed that Rhapsody had Beauty Will Rise online already so I could stream it and listen to it there. It is also available on Lala.com which I had remembered as a CD bartering site like BarterBee.com, but now seems more like Rhapsody, Grooveshark or imeem. I, of course, was able to capture the streams into MP3 files to listen to later but anyone can actually do that with the right software. But I didn't even feel like it was illegal since I know my actual CD has been purchased and is simply in the mail from christianbook.com. I definitely do not want to cheat Steven from a sale of his CD. I am also awaiting the new Casting Crowns CD that we also pre-ordered and should be here in another two weeks. Their album should carry a more typical radio friendly, standard CCM pop-rock sound. The title track "Until The Whole World Hears" definitely has that same Christian pop sound that makes you say "Hey, that's Casting Crowns, oh, I mean MercyMe, oh, or is it Chris Tomlin now that he has amped up his music..." Luckily, I like that sound!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!