Running Chromium under Ubuntu


The daily builds of the open source Chromium browser (upon which Google Chrome is based) has a PPA (Personal Package Archive) for anyone to use to try out Chromium on an Ubuntu Linux desktop. The instructions for installing it can be found here. I am running version 4.0.260.0 (Ubuntu build 33244) on a Hardy Heron (8.04.2) desktop and it seems to run very smoothly, especially using Google apps like GMail and Google docs. It does not seem to like my Flash plugin and keeps crashing on it, but that may be more of a benefit than a problem! I know the KSDK.com and StlToday.com sites are always overrun with extremely annoying Flash ads these days and I am happy for them not to run. I will run Flash apps on my Firefox browser on my laptop where I do my most mission critical Flash-based tasks like maintaining my Farmville and Farm Town farms on Facebook. I also just received a Google Wave account and some invites today and now I have to figure out how it is actually useful. It's nice to have received the account, but it seems like all these great Cyber Monday deals I've been receiving in my Inbox today. Sure they are all great deals, but the university still does not need any of these products, so why buy them? I looked through Geeks.com's up to 85% off items with free shipping to see if there was any hardware we might need, and I could not find anything worth buying.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!