The Metrolink Elevator Surprise


Since this is the Friday before the new highway I-64 reopens, I thought I would publish a transportation related post on the unusual event in the Brentwood Metrolink station I experienced. It was just the end of a normal day and the westbound train stopped at the Brentwood stop as usual and the group of people exited and all walked up towards the Meridian parking garage. As we waited for the daily elevator roulette game ("which one will it be?") it appeared the winner for the day was the far left elevator. When the door opened someone got out but was looking down when they said "watch your step" and slowly walked out of the elevator. This piqued everybody's curiosity as one patron said something like "oh, that's disgusting". We all looked inside to see one very large human or canine fecal deposit resting peacefully and proudly in the middle of the elevator. One patron said something like "I don't think I can deal with that", and stepped back, and only about 2 or 3 people actually got on that elevator, leaving plenty of room around the nasty item in the middle of the floor. I decided to wait for another elevator as well, since I was in no rush to ride up 5 floors enclosed with the smelly thing.

So today I parked in the garage as usual and pushed the elevator button and wondered how lucky I would be today. Sure enough, it was the far left elevator that opened! I was the only person waiting at the moment, and I was thinking that surely "it" could still not be lying there. So when the door opened, I peeked inside and did not just quickly walk inside. Luckily, I was welcomed with a fresh, disinfected smell instead of the smell that was there the previous evening. Some unlucky cleaning person had to remove the foul item and scrub down and disinfect the elevator. That was probably the cleanest that elevator had been in a while, and I never remember smelling a disinfectant smell in any of the elevators there before.

So the question is, what kind of person does that kind of thing in a public elevator? I know there is a Subway restaurant not but a few hundred feet from the Metrolink station that has a restroom, and I bet there is one available in the Meridian building. (I am sure Best Buy would have one available for its employees.) Perhaps someone thinks that is a "funny" thing to do, but they must obviously have a warped sense of humor. Yuck!

Comments

Courtney said…
Thanks for riding, Hugh! Clearly you've witnessed one of the more unfortunate issues we get to address.

In the elevators that Metro maintains (the Meridian garage isn't one of them), we've taken some pretty forward measures to help the problem. The man who oversees the night maintenance shift helped create a bacteria wash that EATS URINE (delicious!), so they get treated with that twice a week in addition to nightly cleanings. There are cameras in the all of the elevators, and a PA, so security dispatch can actually call out offenders in the act, and we have prosecuted people.

Not the most fun tasks, but somebody has to do it!
Courtney said…
Oh, and if you do see a problem, please call 314-289-6873, or use the Passenger Assistance line on MetroLink stations so we can take care of it.

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!