Updated JUMBLE / SCRABBLE Word Descrambler and Solver

Being the geeky sort of person that I am, I like to solve puzzles like the JUMBLE or Sudoku in the paper and also to play SCRABBLE. So for fun I had written a JUMBLE / SCRABBLE word solver / descrambler on my website and noticed it actually received a lot of hits. So I have updated it in various ways. First I created a new version that would highlight the actual dictionary words in RED on the versions that just prints out all the permutations (my original ones). This works for words up to 7 letters long. For words 8 letters and longer, printing out all the permutations gets pretty large and also makes for a large download, so I just print out all the dictionary words I find that match the letters that are given. I realized my online dictionary (which came from the latest Ubuntu wamerican, "American English" dictionary) included a lot of proper nouns, so in my latest descrambler I now flag all the proper nouns with an asterick (*). I also realized making a Spanish version just meant substituting a different dictionary file, so I created a Spanish version of my word unscrambler too. I realized the character set must be set properly for all those letters to properly match, so make sure you are using ISO 8859-1.

Speaking of Ubuntu, I have been using 12.04 for a while now and I must say I have gotten use to using Unity and it is not as bad as everybody says. I just turn off all the fancy effects I do not need and it runs pretty well and looks nice too. I have been a little miffed that Canonical is waiting until August 23 to release 12.04.1 since I was planning on upgrading some of our servers running 10.04 LTS to 12.04.1 and I wanted to do it during summer break. I may just wait until next Spring instead since it is probably good to wait until the first point release.

Comments

Goos said…
Manoj Agadi said…
HI,Hugh. I think you are very much Intrested in solving Puzzle, Sudoku, etc.. It is a very good habit. And it Improves the sharpness of the brain.

iphone chat app
Unknown said…
It is good to read it. Ia am a big fan of scrabble solver.

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!