Battle of the Local College Campus Webcams!


Having worked here on the Washington University Danforth Campus for years now, I have enjoyed using their webcams so I could see the condition of the parking lots and sidewalks from home on those nasty winter mornings before coming into campus. I always thought they had some pretty useful webcams. But now that my son will be attending a different local university next year, I noticed that other fine educational institution just put online some updated webcams of their own. Saint Louis University initially had a webcam up to monitor their clock tower during the "Occupy SLU" week when the Michael Brown protesters were camped out there, but now they have a full suite of webcams located around the SLU campus. My favorite is the one pointed at Grand and the Busch Student Center where you can see the traffic and the pedestrians as they take turns at that intersection. You can even full screen the webcam image, and it has a volume control too, but I do not think the audio actually works. They are using EarthCam who appears to have webcams all over the country.

That made me wonder about some of the other area colleges and universities to see what all webcams they have online. Lindenwood University has one but its image is not of a very interesting view, just pointed at one building. Maryville University has one for the construction of one building, again a not overly exciting thing to watch. I was hoping Webster, Fontbonne or UMSL might have something, but no luck. I knew Mizzou must have something and they did not disappoint, but they are all a bunch of separate pages for each one. Luckily someone else has compiled them together on one page. I particularly like the one in their student union which looks even more like a shopping mall than SLU's Busch Student Center or Wash U's Danforth University Center. I thought Missouri S&T in Rolla was bound to have something, but I could not find anything besides some Java based webcam viewers for their Baja group. However, Truman State University has a page with four different webcams, although I am not sure how often they update.

You can now visit all these college campuses "live" without even leaving your desk!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!