What comes after Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

Okay, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are over now, so what next? I was curious what would happen to their websites after those specific days were over, and, of course, both sites are up and they both have special deals listed. And my e-mail inboxes continue to be bombdarded with holiday sales ads infinitum, including my favorites from Geeks.com and NewEgg.com. NewEgg now has a "Holiday Wish List Sweepstakes" so I went ahead and signed up for it, and I always have to check out Geeks.com's special deal of the day (rather like Woot.com). I did notice one misleading item at Geeks.com where they advertised a 2GB four USB flash drive set for only $7.99. I then had to click on it to realize it was for four 512MB drives for a total of 2GB, not four 2GB drives like I had thought.

Frankly, although 512MB flash drives are pretty much obsolete now and getting harder to find, they are typically big enough for most people's uses. But with 1GB and 2GB drives for under $10, many people find them hardly worth it anymore. I wonder if you took all the USB flash drives purchased in the world and figured out how much extra unused capacity people had on them, what the total percentage of storage used would be. I am sure it must be lower than the total percentage used on iPods and other multimedia players where it is advantageous to have bunches and bunches of media files there to give you more variety. Flash drives are more typically used for less exciting media like Word, PowerPoint and Excel files which are typically much smaller than an album full of MP3's or some full DVD videos compressed to MP4 video. I know I let my son have an old 128MB flash drive and he complained that he needed a bigger one. Why does a middle school student need a 1GB, 2GB or 4GB flash drive for school? The only documents he has ever used them for are Word documents and some pictures using about 40MB or so total. Why does he need 1GB for 40MB of files?

Comments

Charlie said…
I too wondered about post Black Friday.

So I've already started looking at the Black Friday sites.

Many are out of date - but I found one http://www.blackfridayads2009.info that says it's going to offer both year round deals info plus Black Friday info.

We'll see.

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!