The latest from KNOPPIX and my upcoming House Sale

I noticed yesterday on Distrowatch that a new KNOPPIX (Release 6.0) came out yesterday so I thought I would take a look at it. I hadn't really used KNOPPIX much for a few years since it has lost its novelty of being the premiere Linux LiveCD back in 2004 or 2005. Since that time, just about everything comes out as a LiveCD or has a LiveCD version, and KNOPPIX truly has not done much to keep itself ahead of the pack. The new version uses LXDE as its window manager and incorporates ADRIANE to help the visually impaired and novice users. I was not so interested in ADRIANE, but I thought I would see what they did with LXDE and how that would run on an old 866MHZ PIII (Dell Dimension 4100) I just happened to have in my office. It seems to boot up fairly well and LXDE does respond pretty well on the old PIII system, but I was wondering why I couldn't just run LXDE on Ubuntu. I poked about on Google and found PUD which is an Ubuntu based distro running LXDE made to run small and fast. So I downloaded that ISO and tried it out on the same ancient Dell and it worked as well as KNOPPIX, and it even recognized and used the Davicom ethernet card properly (unlike KNOPPIX). So in reality, the problem with KNOPPIX now is not that it is any less useful than it was 5 years ago, but that there are just so many other linux distros out that you can use in its place.

Tomorrow we sign the contract to put our house on the market. Another house down our street went up for sale two weeks ago and already has an offer on it. I know because I went to the open house on Sunday and talked to the Coldwell Banker Gundaker realtor there, Hannah Locks, who does a lot of business in our neighborhood. We probably would have used her if we were not already long time friends with another CBG realtor, Mary Cella, who will be our listing agent. So if anybody walked through Hannah's listing last weekend on 11493 Patty Ann (in the 63146 zip code of unincorporated West County) and was sad that you did get to purchase that house, you will soon be in luck to purchase another home in the Cambridge Subdivision in the Pattonville School District. The ranch home on Patty Ann was nice, but ours is not too shabby either, and we will be pricing it lower than 11493 Patty Ann was priced. And we are definitely priced lower than the two story home for sale on our street. Somebody come on over and buy our house! Note for first time homeowners: the State of Missouri will actually advance you $6,750 to buy our house (well, you do have to pay it back eventually.) Why are they not advertising this program more?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!