Mozy Unlimited No more!


Sure, enough, now that I have started looking more into online backup and having promoted Mozy's $4.99/mo unlimited plan to many folks, it sounds like that it is no longer available. They have now made it $5.99/mo for a 50 GB plan, which makes CrashPlan's $49.95/year unlimited plan look even more appealing. Right now CrashPlan is even giving Mozy users an additional 15% discount. They may not have the big EMC name behind them, but I am not sure how much that helped Mozy (how many typical folks on the street know who EMC is?) If you want a bigger name than CrashPlan hosting your online backup, how about the anti-virus folks at Trend Micro? They acquired humyo and now offer SafeSync as an unlimited backup plan for a special price of only $29.95/year. There are also BackBlaze and Carbonite who are also eager to acquire old Mozy users, but if a company like Trend is supporting an online backup costing less than these lesser brands, why not go with the more trusted name? Of course, that is what Mozy users thought with EMC!


Since this post is sticking with geeky topics, I thought I would mention that I have been using Firefox 4 Beta (Minefield) on my Ubuntu desktop and it seems to be working very well. I had been preferring to use Chrome or Chromium all the time, but I have noticed when I start either of them up now (both on XP or Ubuntu) it seems to take a little while until I can enter a URL into the location and get the browser to respond. Firefox 4 seems much more responsive and also seems quicker on certain "important" sites. (Facebook, YouTube) You can grab the latest nightly build and try it out for yourself. Ubuntu users can add it to your apt repositories by following these simple instructions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!