Snowpocalypse 2011: Sorry, Washington University Medical School Employees


Well, I am glad I no longer work at the Washington University School of Medicine today like I did several years ago! Due to the ice storm and impending snow storm behind it, Washington University has done the unthinkable. They have shut down the Danforth Campus and cancelled all classes and events for the whole day. However, if you work at the medical school, you are in no such luck! They decided those employees must be expendable or something, or are not as worthy at the ones on the undergraduate campus. I can understand the hospital staff personnel being necessary, but I would think all the research groups would not be so essential. I am sure in reality most of the thousands of employees there did not show up either, only the ones needed for hospital and patient care. On the Danforth campus, all those underpaid dining staff have to make it to campus so that students living there like my daughter can eat. Maybe they should let some of the students stuck there without class today pitch in and help prepare the food and clear the sidewalks to the dining areas.The dining service workers are not even university employees, but are instead Bon Appetit employees with much less benefits and lower pay. I hope the few that made it there could make it safely to campus.

When I first woke up earlier this morning it did not seem that bad when I looked outside, but it sounds like from the Metro twitter account  and their Rider Alerts that the Metrolink trains are not running west past Clayton. They have "bus shuttles" to take you from Clayton Station to Brentwood or Shrewsbury stations but that's it. It will be interesting to see if they have full service tomorrow. It looks like I may be spending another day at home tomorrow again unless the weather prediction does not come true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!