Wash U Commuter Zip Code Statistics for Number Geeks!

This morning I received my regular Washington University propaganda e-mail spam which had an interesting article about a cool competition at the Olin Business School. The Olin Sustainability Case Competition  has students thinking of ways to solve the parking problem we have here on campus and possibly win a $5,000 prize.While checking their site I found a PDF file which contains some interesting survey data about from where all the Wash U students, faculty and staff commute. The data there is hopefully from a representative sampling, since there are many more than 300 faculty members and much more than 900 staff members (I know I do not believe I took that survey). I compiled the survey data and wrote up my own little PHP statistics page which I put on my web site. This includes the top 30 zip codes (by total number of commuters) and I let the user sort by any column and I allow display the percentages of the totals. From the page you can see the ZIP codes where commuting students prefer compared to the ones faculty and staff prefer. Some trends are obvious, with 63130 (U-City) being the top pick for all categories, but the differences are what makes this interesting. Whereas three ZIP codes cover more than half of the faculty (63130, 63105-Clayton and 63108-CWE), the Skinker-DeBaliviere area (63112) comes in second for students, probably due to all the Quadrangle apartments there where graduate students live. In fact adding 63112 to the top three amongst the faculty (63130, 63105, 63108) totals over two thirds of the commuting students. The staff members are much more spread out throughout the area as expected with 63130 being the only ZIP code with more than 10% of the FT staff. I was surprised that some pretty far out ZIP codes like 63129 and 63021 have more than 30 full-time staff members. The FT staff members in the city tend to prefer the more laid back, family oriented areas in 63109 and 63139 as opposed to the student heavy CWE or DeBaliviere areas. In the county they tend to live in the areas with good schools, even if they are a bit further from campus (Webster, Kirkwood, etc). I love looking at numbers!

On a somewhat related note, the Citizens for Modern Transit also e-mailed me the YouTube link to see the advertisement where Chancellor Wrighton promotes Proposition A. He only has a few seconds, but he is standing on the corner of Big Bend and Forest Park Parkway facing Lopata House with Zelema Harris from St. Louis Community College. I think is it cool that they timed the shoot to include a Metrobus as it went by on its daily route. That must have been a planned appearance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!