Ice Capades 2011 - Walking to and from Metrolink to Campus


Okay, today's short drive to the Brentwood Metrolink station was pretty uneventful, but getting to my building on campus from the Meridian parking garage was another matter! First off, two weeks ago I complimented Metro on what a great job they did clearing the sidewalk of snow from the garage down to the platform. Today, however, was another matter. That long ramp heading down to the platform was a solid sheet of ice with salt scattered on it more like a seasoning than a substance to melt anything. The lady in front of me was holding the rail and moving at about 1 mph, and I was afraid I would miss the train if I did not try to pass her and risk slipping and falling in the process. Luckily I made the 7:45 train and made it to the Skinker station. The station there was in good shape, with the stairway well salted and I could make it up to the sidewalk just fine. Here again, however, Washington University made me not so proud by once again leaving the sidewalks as a solid sheet of ice. How nice for them to announce their tuition increase to over $40,000 last week, and then to demonstrate their stinginess by not clearing the sidewalk from the Metrolink station to the buildings on campus. If you look at today's webcam shot of the sidewalk, it looks like it is clear of snow (as it was) but it was still a pretty solid sheet of ice. Luckily I safely made it to the back door of Brauer Hall where I could sneak in and walk through to get to our own lovely building. That again allowed me to gaze upon their top of the line, high tech energy saving device they installed on the loading dock door. It is a hand written piece of paper taped to the door saying "close door behind u" (translation: please close the door behind you). I bet the Office of Sustainability did not come up with that one, but it probably saves more energy than most of the other LEED certified devices in the building.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BMI & BMR Calculator (Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate)

Trying out the L'Ecole Culinaire Presentation Room restaurant

Not all Frosted Window Films are the same!